Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bag Closet: Alexander Wang

While I occasionally wander into other obsessions - like with these and these - handbags are my first and last accessory craving. The right color or style can completely change an outfit, and what fun is fashion if it isn't a bit changeable?

My purse collection isn't as enviable as some people's - I mean, Victoria Beckham probably has an Hermès Birkin for every day of the year - but it's not a bad little grouping either. So I'm starting a new feature - "Bag Closet" - in which we'll take a look at my own and others' bags, as well as some tips for starting and growing your own collection!

First up: Alexander Wang




The craze around AW bags started a few years back when MK and Ashley Olsen started carrying a black studded Rocco, but no one knew what it was, as it hadn't been released to the public yet. Of course everyone went all cray cray, and when people found out who made the bag, mile-long wait lists began.

I think that AW bags are pretty to look at, but their real appeal is the leather. Bubbly. Smooshy. Buttery soft. A little distressed. Perfect. If you've never seen an AW bag in person, run to your nearest Barney's NY. Just to touch one. Seriously.

I have a "Diego" in Forest Velvet Cut Leather and a new-to-me "Rocco" in Ocean. (Both special release colors sold only at Barney's). I have both basic black and brown bags that I use more regularly, so the AW purchases seemed like great places to add color to my collection.

Alexander Wang bags are also not a bad place to start a designer purse collection. The price point isn't cheap ($450 - $900 for bags), but it's not as bad as Chanel, where you're basically deciding between a car or a bag (Jumbos are up to a whopping $4300).

You can find AW bags in a variety of places online (the designer's own site, Barney's, and Shopbop all have great stock). As well, you can find some really good bargains (or out-of-stock colors) on eBay. Though when you're shopping second hand for designer anything, you always have to be careful about authenticity. Before clicking that "Place Bid" button, make sure to post any AW auctions in the "Authenticate This Alexander Wang" section at The Purse Forum. The lovely ladies there will help to make sure you don't walk away with a counterfeit bag.

I hope you enjoy the new feature, and happy bag shopping!!

3 comments:

Secondhand Stella said...

I love both! Can't wait to see what other goodies you have :)

BEES'NETTA said...

Love this! I still remember that you post you did awhile back about your red Prada bag...it's one of my favs!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I am in love! The first one is amazing!!